>> Please allow yourself enough time to complete this form in one session as there is not an option to save and come back to it later.

Under the Data Protection Act, you are entitled to access your own personal information held by the local authority, subject to certain exemptions. If your request is for your social care records we will supply your information on a CD unless you request otherwise.

You should receive your information within one month of us receiving your completed application. If we need to extend the period of compliance by up to a further two months because your request is complex or numerous, we will inform you within one month of receipt of your request and explain why the extension is necessary.

You will need to provide proof of your identity by uploading photographic ID such as a driving licence or passport and a recent utility bill as current proof of address. We will acknowledge your request in writing and we treat all requests in confidence.

Sometimes your file may contain information about other people or from other people or organisations. We may contact you and ask for your consent to contact these people or organisations. If you consent, we will ask those people for permission to share their information with you.

You can apply on behalf of another person, but that person will need to sign to say that they are happy for you to do so. If you are requesting a child's records you may be required to provide proof of parental responsibility for the child.

As a general rule a child aged 12 or over will have sufficient understanding to exercise their rights. It is a child who has the right of access to the information held about them, even though in the case of young children these rights are likely to be exercised by those with parental responsibility for the child.

Are you making a request

For your own personal data

On behalf of someone else